Re: You won't believe it!!!!

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Feb 11 2001 - 18:46:30 PST

In a message dated 2/10/01 2:28:12 AM Eastern Standard Time, Donzart@aol.com
writes:

> She continued

When an adult claims that he or she "can't do art", I explain that it's
probably because an art teacher somewhere along the way made you feel that
way. Years ago, in the "old school" of art education, many art teachers
modeled a drawing, etc. and directed and expected the students' work to look
like theirs. When the expectations weren't met, students felt like failures.

 Important lesson for us modern art educators: make every child feel
successful by encouraging them to make their own decisions about how they
want their art to look! Discouraging feelings of making "mistakes" and
encouraging divergent ways to creative solutions promotes a healthy attitude
about making art. But, we all know this as art teachers. She just doesn't
have a clue.

Can you invite her to join a class as a hands-on participant to prove to
herself that she CAN do it? I bet the kids would love it too. Ask her to do
the painting lesson with the tape, you know there are only successes with
that one. That'll change her attitude! Classroom teachers in my school have
been asking me to do a workshop to teach them how to do this painting (and
the birch tree one), so adults are interested, too.
Susan on Long Island