Re: relief sculptures

---------

From: Andrea Dunmire (artshui_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 05:14:06 PST

Have any of you ever done bas-relief sculpture with cardboard then covered
with aluminum foil and india ink,etc. etc.? The technique looks really
neat-
like cast metal.
What kinds of units have you used this with? maskmaking? cubism?
abstraction?

Speaking of bas-relief!
Yes, I have done this. I did a portrait-unit with sixth grade and we did
"Topographic Heads" this way. We used oaktag to build up layers of the face
on cardboard. We started with the face and neck shape and then built up
succeeding layers. Students felt their faces to determine where the high
points were (cheeks, chin, nose, forehead) and these received more layers
until they projected out enough. Each layer was cut a little smaller than
the last giving a map-like topographic effect. We then brushed on a diluted
glue-water mix and covered them with heavy-duty foil. (Make sure to get the
heave-duty- the regular weight foil tears too easily.)
India ink was brushed over the foil and then wiped off of the high points
and finally sealed with a quick spray of clear sealant.

They really did look great. Hmmmmm- maybe it is time to do this again!

Andrea in Pa.
   - to contact me directly use artshui@hotmail.com