Re: inner city teaching prob

---------

Holly112_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Feb 11 2001 - 20:12:19 PST

Jayna is right--I had a group of 7th grade girls that started out to be
HORRIBLE in Art class and now that the term is over they come to visit me and
hug me and tell me how sad they are that Art is over for them.

I hear from other teachers in my district, that it takes about 3-4 years to
build a reputation in whichever school you're at. I really thought I had it
bad in September, but now that I have new students for the new term, I can
see that my 1st term students actually DID get better as we went along. Part
of me wants to wish my life along a little, I'd like to not have to work so
hard at teaching normal classroom behavior.

 My new students seem even MORE obnoxious, because its NOT September and they
are used to school and the way things are done around here--no backup in the
discipline dept! So the thought of starting again, not knowing names, having
scheduling problems, no rosters, and more, can get you down.

I've been reading this thread with interest: it gives me hope for the future.
I bet every kid knows about Woody before he even meets them. His reputation
precedes him. That helps--I'm not there yet.

I've had privileged kids appreciate me the same way as my at-risk kids, but
its personally WAY more rewarding to me to get through to these students. I
actually MISS them!

Holly :0)