Re: Am I Wrong

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Feb 11 2001 - 19:28:40 PST

In a message dated 2/10/01 11:35:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mwhiteaz@cybertrails.com writes:

> Please remember that the forms and symbols used by your students are as
> important to them as the examples you show are to those cultures.
> American Teenager is a culture, IMHO (and my students are all Indian, in
> fact). I don't think one should force symbols on students simply
> because they come from "historical" examples.

Maggie, that's an interesting point. A good point of view to think about! I
am really more concerned that my students not use another artist's art as
their own. I remind them that another artist already invented Micky Mouse,
when they want to use a symbol or drawing from a particular source. Then I go
into the plagiarism with written text analogy. Hearts and rainbows, although
not terribly original, are generic.
Susan on Long Island