Re: Student who is colorblind

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2001 - 12:59:08 PST

There is a family here where all the males are colorblind. I have 3 of the
boys. Two of them can't differentiate warm colors - if they start a project
one day and don't write down what colors they used then it's hit or miss on
if the same colors will be used. I never mention it if they start with red
and end with orange - they HATE it when it's pointed out if it's too late to
fix. I try to stay on top of it, but sometimes I miss, and it is just not
worth it to embarrass them or stress them out (cause then they know it's
messed up and they know it, but can't see it so they don't know how to fix
it).
    Tricks I use to help the students - write down the colors they are
using - make sure the crayons, colored pencils, markers, paint all have the
color names printed on them - have the student "keep seperate" the supplies
they need to finishe the project. I don't know if the kids will every truly
understand color theory - they might understand what you tell them, but
probably won't get the entire context. Help them be successful and don't
stress about the small stuff.
~Michal
whest177@wheatstate.com
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids