Re: Am I Wrong

---------

From: Vivian Komando (komandv_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 11 2001 - 10:57:15 PST

Jackie,

By your teaching art with content and cultural meaning,
you are creating a rich environment for learning not only
about history, societies, human rights, ourselves, and
others, but how we, as humans, value many of the same
things.

My feelings are that when we teach our kids to do these
"cutsie" art projects AS THE SOLE COMPONENT of a HS art
class, we are weakening our agenda and the importance of
teaching kids the arts. That is when some of the other
teachers think it isn't a problem to keep kids from our
class (since math, science, etc. are more important in
education) because all we are doing is just coloring with
crayons back in the art room. Unfortunately, there are
teachers (in every field) that do not commit to their
time in the classroom.

Keep teaching the way you are. The kids will learn more
and value what they learn. I have had kids on the
academic team tell me they were able to score winning
points because of areas we covered in art class. I have
also had kids realize what they wanted to do and where
they wanted to be after being in an art class that gave
them directions to explore who they are.

It's Valentine week and I have seen many hearts this past
week to be put in the kiln or on small watercolor
paintings. They were not part of the week's curriculum,
but I value my students' wishes to create something for a
person they care about - from a parent to a sibling to a
boy friend or girl friend. And they valued art enough to
make this on their own time to show the person they are
special. I thought of teaching Jim Dine or Peter Max for
acrylic painting - and we would have seen hearts in art -
but this year's painting class is so behind, I'm not sure
we will even get to that point before May.

Keep having high expectations for your students. I
realized this week that I had raised the bar of
expectation for my students each year - and you know what
- they have measured up each time. Don't change your
agenda in class.

Vivian

=====
Increase the Peace ~^~ {^}Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope. Robert F. Kennedy