symbols/am I wrong

---------

gregjuli_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Feb 11 2001 - 09:28:17 PST

A few years ago we had this talk about symbolism in art. It was brought up
when I asked how could I get kids out the "trite " rut when designing symbols.

I agree that the symbols of today are important to them and are a sign of the
times but....... when I'm grading them on design I want it to be THEIR design.
If they do a ying yang or peace symbol, I tell them someone already designed
that and they need their own creation.
When encouraged or just plain pushed to do more, we all know what wonders
they( students ) can come up with in art!
When my 7th graders are assigned to create their own "personal "symbol, I'm
amazed at the variety and creativeness within them. If someone really wants
to do a heart or ying yang , I say they have to come up with a new one or
redesigned symbol. They are usually satisfied with that compromise. So they
take a common cultural symbol and make it personal to them. A new creation!
MaryB