Nigerian Art: Kindred Spirits--Excellent video!

---------

From: JDecker (JDecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 11 2001 - 08:24:53 PST

I know I posted this video last year---but it is worth repeating. This is
one of the best videos I have seen showing the mix of "traditional" images
with the influence of Western ideas in African art. It shows how Nigerian
artists share their history and cultural legacy. There are segments on
textile design (batik), sculpture (nice segment on the lost-wax process),
painting and printmaking. African historians share brief history of Nigeria
and the impact of Colonial rule. My school now has two new students from
Nigeria (I have met the sixth grade girl and will introduce myself to her
8th grade brother next week.). I wanted to view this video again myself--so
I can show parts of it to my students next week prior to having the new
students come and talk to my classes about Nigeria. These students are of
the Yoruba culture. All of my classes are doing projects inspired by the art
of Africa.

If anyone is interested in viewing this video (this one does belong to me)--
please e-mail me privately with name and address. I should be finished with
it in a couple of weeks (mailto:Jdecker@woh.rr.com ). All I ask is that
postage be reimbursed when the video is returned.

Judy Decker