Am I wrong-continued

---------

From: KPRS (kprs_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 11 2001 - 06:06:13 PST

I wholeheartedly agree that our students have a visual vocabulary and
syntax of their own, and I do not attempt to in anyway diminish their
ideas when I 'disallow' certain self driven projects, like bongs and
ashtrays. I encourage self expression on many levels and have been
heard to utter those famous words when the plea arises (Why can't I do
what I want, why do you always assign us projects~a plea ultimately
heard once a semester) "I am giving you the skills to make what you want
on your own time with your own money~not the tax payers money. They do
not want their hard earned money on drug or sex related objects produced
in art class" As for 'do dads" like heart shaped boxes with their
boyfriends names on them, I encourage them to make art at home, with
their family and friends, and we talk about art as an ongoing process,
not just limited to the art class. If they can't afford clay for those
boxes for example we talk about alternatives like paper mache and I will
even chip in a bottle of Elmer's glue. Since art is an elective in my
high school, it is important for me to establish that this is a class
where we actually learn things, and not just make things, a 'process'
driven class, as compared to a 'projects' driven class. It's worked for
me. I count one of my 'success' kids as the local tatoo artist, who
learned to take his "hip" vocabulary and drawing skills to make big
bucks. (I hope he learned from me that there is no money in graffiti on
buildings..he he).

San D