Re: the "am I wrong" thread about choosing projects

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 10 2001 - 22:18:00 PST

Leah, Thanks for posting this. You do respect your students!

We have an art teacher in our district who has a list of symbols that
she forbids in her class. She wants all of the rest of us to forbid
them also. I took some photos at the Philadelphia museum that showed
those very symbols used in the art there. One piece right in the
entrance has a huge sun in the upper left hand corner.

Thanks for articulating my view on this subject so well. It is our
job to guide our students to develop further than they are and we need
to start with the interest they have when they come.
2Cents

Sharon from NJ
--To respond to me directly click on mailto:heneborn@erols.com

----------
Subject: the "am I wrong" thread about choosing projects
Date: Sat, Feb 10, 2001, 10:23 PM
> I'm writing to further defend my "independent project" stance. If students
> are knocking themselves out, creating work that meets the teachers specs
> (based on the lesson objectives) they deserve a chance to create something
> they want. If you are making an impact on the student (teaching them to
> appreciate creative art), they will choose to make something creative (not
> trite). On the other hand, maybe they'll choose to make a heart or some
> other symbol, teach them to make that interesting and well made. Common
> symbols are not inherently bad. After all, when people teach "multicultural
> art" they often teach their most common and well known symbols and art forms
> (and "copy" the look of it). Once in a while, it's interesting to see what
> students will do with all the information we have "taught" them.
  Leah