Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: the "am I wrong" thread about choosing projects

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 10 2001 - 21:06:52 PST

artappeal wrote:

> I'm writing to further defend my "independent project" stance. If students
> are knocking themselves out, creating work that meets the teachers specs
> (based on the lesson objectives) they deserve a chance to create something
> they want. If you are making an impact on the student (teaching them to
> appreciate creative art), they will choose to make something creative (not
> trite). On the other hand, maybe they'll choose to make a heart or some
> other symbol, teach them to make that interesting and well made. Common
> symbols are not inherently bad.

Good point, in trying to teach Blooms Taxonomy to my students I have to continually
point out that on the "application" level: it is applying knowledge and
what you
understand to a new "unique" situation (without being told how to do
it). Most
teachers assume that just being able to do it is application, while it
really requires
a new situation where you haven't been shown how to do it. Taking a
trite subject
and seeing what they decide to do with it would be a true test of the
ability to
"apply" what they know.
                                                        Woody in KC

> After all, when people teach "multicultural
> art" they often teach their most common and well known symbols and art forms
> (and "copy" the look of it). Once in a while, it's interesting to see what
> students will do with all the information we have "taught" them.
> Leah

                       To respond to me privately via E-mail
                           click on
You are welcome to visit my Web Site at