Re: Am I Wrong

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 10 2001 - 20:24:53 PST

Aust ArtClasses wrote:

><snip> they allow the students to make that heart
> with their boyfriends name, or that heart shaped box, or a basketball.
> Some have done dragons (which are of great detail and look good). Me, I
> would like for my students to do something more associated with art
> history, ex. Hopi Indians, Maria Martinez, etc. It can even be some
> abstract. But the cute little items such as their name in clay. <snip>

Please remember that the forms and symbols used by your students are as
important to them as the examples you show are to those cultures.
American Teenager is a culture, IMHO (and my students are all Indian, in
fact). I don't think one should force symbols on students simply
because they come from "historical" examples.

An idea I copped several years ago from Michelle Harrell, who does
Grafitti Bowls, was to have them create Tag Boxes. They can make any
shape, using the slab method, and glaze ("tag") them however they like,
as long as it fits within our school policy of no drug/alcohol symbols.
The boxes are beautifully made, extravagantly glazed, and more
meaningful to the makers than they would be using someone else's
symbols.

Maggie