the "am I wrong" thread about choosing projects

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 10 2001 - 19:23:29 PST

I'm writing to further defend my "independent project" stance. If students
are knocking themselves out, creating work that meets the teachers specs
(based on the lesson objectives) they deserve a chance to create something
they want. If you are making an impact on the student (teaching them to
appreciate creative art), they will choose to make something creative (not
trite). On the other hand, maybe they'll choose to make a heart or some
other symbol, teach them to make that interesting and well made. Common
symbols are not inherently bad. After all, when people teach "multicultural
art" they often teach their most common and well known symbols and art forms
(and "copy" the look of it). Once in a while, it's interesting to see what
students will do with all the information we have "taught" them.

Leah