Re: Am I Wrong

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 10 2001 - 16:16:54 PST

I don't necessarily have each project relate to art history. I try to
incorporate a variety of ideas into my clay unit. For example, this year I
had all my Arts (1-4) create a coil version of a Oaxacan Black Pot. Then
they looked at the animal sculptures of this region and create their own
animal in this style. They will be painted with acrylic in the Oaxacan
style. Then each group moved into different areas. Art 1 had to combine
methods to create a pot (many combined rolled balls, coils, and slabs - very
cool!). They are currently making an Egyptian Canopic Jar. Art 2 makes a
bell with a figure of some sort on the top (must include a way to attach the
clapper). Then onto a whimsical teapot that does not have to be functional.
Art 3 is creating a "story pot" - taken from a children's book - I have a
couple of Dr.Seuss pots that are fascinating. Then they will create a
fantasy self-portrait "house" - could be a tree house (outdoorsy type) with
a cat on the roof (cat lover), CD "sun" behind (music lover). Art 4 is
making a pot that incorporates faces. Then they will create 3 identical pots
that work together and tell a story, poem, etc. The idea behind these
projects is to get the students structure while still giving them a chance
to incorporate their own personalities. If they finish all of these (quality
projects) then they may make the cutsy heart with their name on it!
~Michal
whest177@wheatstate.com
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids