Re: Am I Wrong

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 10 2001 - 13:42:41 PST

> This is Jackie
> I got into a discussion with several of my art teachers. I feel different
> from them when it comes to the projects they are doing with clay. We all
> have taught the various techniques but when it comes to the students doing
> a project for a test grade, they allow the students to make that heart
> with their boyfriends name, or that heart shaped box, or a basketball.
> Some have done dragons (which are of great detail and look good). Me, I
> would like for my students to do something more associated with art
> history, ex. Hopi Indians, Maria Martinez, etc. It can even be some
> abstract. But the cute little items such as their name in clay. I
> basically told them I was not into the cute little things ( The Sunday
> Afternoon Clay), they informed me they were just children, that mom would
> like it. By the way, these are 9-12 graders. Am I the one that is wrong
> here. I do have high expectations for my students.

Perhaps these "Art Teachers" were in the same special ed classes as some
future administrators were. So they really don't know any better. Try
to set
them straight about why they teach art and what art is. I'm sure the language
teachers use comic books and the math teacher has them shoot craps because
the kids like it. We are not in a popularity contest here we are trying
to educate
for good taste not find what tastes good. Oh, that was Charlie the
Tuna's line,
wasn't it ? We can find activities that appeal to young minds and still
pull them
into a quality sense of culture and art, without doing gangster rap in
the music
room. "Trite" was the vocabulary word in my reading classes last Thursday.
Maybe these teachers need to go back to school in a quality art program.
                                Just my thoughts, Woody in KC

--
                       To respond to me privately via E-mail
                           click on  mailto:wduncan@kc.rr.com