Re: Mancala boards...How I get ideas

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 10 2001 - 13:37:11 PST

JDecker wrote:

> I always get my ideas from looking at books on cultural art and fine art
> (gift magazines are a good source too---I saw a planter shaped like a
> zebra). I look at the things I like and think "How can I do that with
> kids?".

They can make effigy vessels! I do a whole unit on them in the 3D class
when we do *ahem* ceramics. I show them historical examples and then
contemporary examples such as cookie jars, piggy banks, and planters. I
plan on using this idea for a presentation at next year's conference,
based on historical examples from Ecuador.

> I guess this is
> another astonishing thing I like about this ArtEdTalk list---Ideas are free!
> This list invites other art teachers to "steal" ideas...and we are flattered
> when another teacher likes our idea--so flattered that when we see it appear
> we thank them for finding our ideas useful

And thanks for letting me steal yours! We are starting sculptures next
week, and this would be an interesting offshoot of that.

Maggie