Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Am I Wrong

From: Aust ArtClasses (austart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 10 2001 - 11:19:23 PST

This is Jackie. I have a new email address now. It use to be

Now it is

I got into a decission with several of my art teachers. I feel different
from them when it comes to the projects they are doing with clay. We all
have taught the various techniques but when it comes to the students doing
a project for a test grade, they allow the students to make that heart
with their boyfriends name, or that heart shaped box, or a basketball.
Some have done dragons (which are of great detail and look good). Me, I
would like for my students to do something more associated with art
history, ex. Hopi Indians, Maria Martinez, etc. It can even be some
abstract. But the cute little items such as their name in clay. I
basically told them I was not into the cute little things ( The Sunday
Afternoon Clay), they informed me they were just children, that mom would
like it. By the way, these are 9-12 graders. Am I the one that is wrong
here. I do have high expectations for my students.

Any suggestions on how you approach projects like this would be greatly