More on Decker Mancala boards (Bunki)

---------

From: JDecker (JDecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 10 2001 - 11:12:10 PST

I decided to answer Michal's question to the list and now
Bunki's....Students have taken two days now to make their
"armatures".....They will apply tape and foil Monday---then will do three
layers of papier mache. First layer newspaper--second layer brown paper
toweling (end rolls from restrooms)--third layer white newsprint (this helps
students know when they have done "three layers"...and in the process
actually gets more than three layers--which is a "good thing")....The two
posted are two samples that the students are helping me with (these two will
be donated to the math department/connections team). One student put these
two together for me (he doesn't want a board---but likes making them...I am
blessed to have such great kids!)....and we are learning what works as we go
along (this shows the value of making a samples with the students). I made a
sketch and then turned him loose (he just happens to also be on the
connections team this year). My sixth graders started to papier mache these
two Friday. The alligator has two sides of cardboard with newspaper
stuffing--wire in tail...the dog/zebra (will maybe end up to be a dog---but
who cares) has the egg carton pushed into a cardboard cheese box and minimal
newspaper stuffing...cardboard cone tail (with a plasticine clay weight so
his head doesn't tip him over. Poor guy/gals' head ended up too big). Each
student (or pair of students) are doing their own "problem" solving as they
go along. They made a sketch---then a paper pattern to use--then cut out
corrugated cardboard (all recyled stuff). The paper pattern had to
accomodate the egg carton and two end cups (end cups from lunch
room--salvaged and washed). One student is making a chi-wara
(http://www2.wcoil.com/~mdecker/chiwara.htm) that is almost four times the
size of the dog/zebra (I told him his mother is going to hate me). He has
already "hired" some other student to help him papier mache.

See how hard it is to put EVERYTHING in a lesson plan? I so hate writing
plans (and now everyone can say "me too")

Judy Decker

P.S. I just happened to be checking the posts for today...I am good at
avoiding housework....giggle...Oh-oh..."dirty look"....time for me to the
dusting (naughty...naughty girl)