Re: 3d for kindergarten

---------

From: menichino (menichino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 10 2001 - 09:20:14 PST

Mishy --
As part of a unit on Line I give kindies a piece of Twisteez wire and we
create sculptures, looking at the spaces and the way the sculpture changes
as they turn them around and look from different directions. Then I give
them some scraps of tissue paper to thread on the wire to add color. Some
(actually most) students eventually turn these into necklaces of some sort,
but we continue to refer to them as sculptures!
I also have them do a paper strip sculpture -- all start out with making a
circular form (like what they might do when making a paper chain). They
then take other paper strips to fold, curl, twist, etc, and add to original
circle with glue.
I think my favorite 2-D >3-D project is to start with 12 x 18 construction
paper, cut and glue scraps onto it. Then I come around with a stapler and
make it into a cone-shaped form -- Presto: Artist's thinking caps!
Liz in rural NY