3-D project

---------

From: Kathy Tickner (ktickner_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 14:50:56 PST

re: kindergarten 3-D projects: One of the best projects I have done is 3-d
Rainbows.
 Great for ST. Patrick's Day.......
Staple contact paper to a piece of construction paper (8x11), sticky side
up.. and peel off the cover, revealing the sticky stuff.
Give kids 1" or 1/2" strips of colored construction paper (primay and
secondary colors are the best) Talk about arches, bow-shapes (show pics of
St. Louis Arch, Taj Mahal, Half-Dome in Yosemite, pictures from Arches
National Park, arched windows, etc.)Have kids stick one side of the
construction paper strip to contac paper,then have them "arch" it upwards,
and stick the other side down. Continue process until they have used all
of their strips.
After they "arch" a few, we get more creative and I show them how to "loop"
, and curl them, some strips passing under and over others.
 They end up looking alot like little skateboard parks! A follow up
activity is to write about : "If this was a playground or skatepark, tell
us about it?" It is one of my most successful lesson in k-2 level. Hang
them on the wall, and they are beautiful!
 Kathy Tickner
 Byron Union School District, No. CA