Re: I need to VENT/Intercity teaching....WHAT TO DO?

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 09:42:08 PST

IMHO - the answer to both is to have beginning teachers spend more time in
the classroom. I don't believe that an hour here and there doing
observations is enough. Being there at the beginning of the year would help
the new teacher see how experienced teacher sets up the classroom, enforces
discipline plans, etc. etc. Then spending time in a variety of situations
from K-12 to a variety of subjects in rural schools to inner cities.
Instead of spending 3 1/2 years in college prep and then 1 semester student
teaching is not conducive preparing students to take on a new teaching job.
On the job training is the best teacher.
~Michal
whest177@wheatstate.com
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids