I need to VENT/Intercity teaching....WHAT TO DO?

---------

From: lia (johns392_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 04:44:58 PST

So many of us are simply not prepared for this type of narrative about
teaching art where each day is a battleground. It seems like often, though
not always these stories come from inter city teaching. I was deeply moved
and continue to concerned about these types of placements and experiences
for both the art teachers and the students. It needs to get better........

Here's my question. This person says her course work did not prepare
her. (perhaps coursework never does....but) How can teacher education
programs prepare students better for this type of teaching
environment? Ideas? Anyone know of text(s) or resources that help. Many
teachers in these situations of poverty/inter city/ etc. never grew up in
these cultures and are completely naive about them. I know I am.

Question 1: What is the key to you think to begin to prepare new teachers
(and veterans planning a change) for these classrooms? I would be very
interested in this. Question 2: How can we work to improve/ eliminate
these battlegrounds? Yeah I know it's big. Thanks for your ideas. lia