Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

magnetic paint walls

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 20:48:05 PST

Here are two responses I received about magnetic paint.

Kimberly Herbert ( <> )
CAM Administrator

At the CT Children's Museum, our recent renovations included many magnetic
paint walls. We got ours from Magnetic Poetry (on the web It works quite well for light-weight magnets --
business card size, magnetic letters, etc and will support heavier things as
long as the magnet is light enough. Too heavy and the weight of the magnet
itself takes precedence over the strength of the magnetization. It opens up
many possibilities for exhibits that are interactive!

We've used magnetic paint quite a bit, and it works well. I'm not sure how
much weight it would be able to handle, but for smaller posters, and
pictures it should work fine. Most recently, we attached 2" x 3"
rectangular puzzle pieces to magnetic rubber sheet material, then painted a
wall in our hall with magnetic paint, and had a decent activity for not much

--Divonna Ratliff
Portland Children's Museum