word wall

---------

From: jeryl Hollingsworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 18:09:13 PST

Cindy,
   You asked about my word wall...Most of the classrooms at our school
have a word wall. Around the top of the walls in the classrooms the
teachers put big letters of the alphabet. Under the "A" they put all the
"a" words as the kids learn them in vocabulary and reading or sometimes
spelling. Next to that are the "B" words. etc... The words are usually
printed on computers using a big font.They are attached vertically under
the letter. It is very helpful for the kids when they are writing in
their journals, etc.. so they don't always have to ask how to spell
things. Anyway, last year I got the idea that the art room should also
have a word wall. Fortunately I had a teacher cadet from our local high
school working with me and she took over the project. I gave her a list
and she went to work. It has really helped when students are writing
evaluations of their work and I say "remember to use art words -look at
the wall if you need help." I have all the elements, names of shapes,
names of tools (palette, brush) primary,secondary etc..This year any
time a new vocabulary word comes up that isn't on the wall the kids
notice and say."Hey that should be on our wall!" So I keep a running
list and add occasionally. It has really helped them develop a bigger
art vocabulary. If you are a visual person like me- I could send you a
photo with our digital camera.
      jeryl in sc