Re: my art room is being burned to the ground!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Melissa Enderle (melissae)
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 20:30:15 -0600

Dear Kate:

How awful! I hope that you will get a room in the new building at least.
While I'm glad to say that I haven't been in exactly your position before, I
do know what it's like to have to pack up an art room during the middle of
the year, then go on a cart, etc. When that happened to me two years ago, I
insisted on getting at least one day to pack, without having classes. If
your principal doesn't go for having you miss teaching during the day, what
about having him/her compensate your time spent if you do the work after
school or on a weekend? If neither proposal will satisfy your principal,
then check with your union.

Regarding art on a cart, your perspective might be different depending on
whether the move is permanent or just temporary, changing once the
construction is completed. When I had art on a cart for two years, I was in
a different mindset had had a different approach then when I had to suddenly
do art on a cart two years ago at a different school - a multilevel school
(4 floors of classes and no elevators). If it's just temporary, it's a
little easier to tolerate less than desirable conditions. Other teachers are
also relieved when reminded that it's only for a given period of time.

For a school staff not used to art in their rooms, things are a little more
difficult. Oh, is there any other space where you could teach, such as the
cafeteria? Do you have a decent cart? What about space to store student work
in progress? I would go to each room and speak to the teachers if possible,
giving you a visual idea of the layout, where you could demonstrate, store
items, the disposition of the teacher (messiness tolerance level, noise
level preference, etc.) What about access to water and a sink? Do the
classes have carpeting? If so, is there an area that is not carpeted? That's
where I would do the messy parts.

I would start off doing non-messy art projects. That way students get used
to doing art in their new environment, adapt to different cleanup
procedures, you and the classroom teacher gets accustomed to each other's
comfort levels, and you get used to the whole idea of art on a cart. Do you
have time in between classes? Is the next class fairly close to the previous
one? Assess whether your timing or arrangement will need to be changed
slightly.

This might help you get started at least. A whole different way of teaching,
to be sure.

__________________________________
| Melissa Enderle |
/)| melissae |(\
/ )| || \
__( ( art teacher/ adaptive art /_) ) )__
\ / \ /
\ _/ \_ /
/ / \ \
/ / \ \