Re: Incomplete work

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
JUDY GROCHOWSKI (jfgro)
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 14:32:30 -0600

Jackie-I battle this too-I bet many of us do....one thing which has proven
useful for me is to have the students average their grades on an ongoing
basis-I remove my grading sheets from my grade book (you could also Xerox em)
and post them on the board (student identified by number only) along with an
averaging handout. They average their grades and since all assignments have
multiple grades-such as a sketch proposal, etc., the ones which can be filled
-like composition, etc., are filled in, but other ones (such as finished
quality) aren't. Often when they see what completing an assignment does for
their overall grade, they will come in to finish it. The other nice feature of
this is that kids stop saying "she gave me" and start to understand it's a
matter of what they've earned! They'll say "oh I havta get this done to get
whatever grade (or even to pass)."
I'm gonna have to revamp this next quarter because it will be a mandate
for all of us to have our grades on computer-which is less forgiving, but
maybe that'll be ok, too.
Hope this helps!
Judy Grochowski
Greenfield High