Re: art room technology

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Robert Alexander Fromme (rfromme)
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 11:26:18 -0600

At 08:43 PM 12/30/99 EST, you wrote:
>In a message dated 12/30/99 12:40:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>Deeknik writes:
>I agree with Woody. A core issue is how can technology improve student
>learning in the arts? The second issue is what could technology look like in
>the middle school art room - some possiblilities of how to do it.

When you speak of the core issue as communicating how technology can improve
student learning in the arts, I am not sure just what you are saying.

contemporary and future ideas of what art should and can be . Much of what
we know as traditional media will be relegated to a lesser role while the
new video, graphics and animation technologies will assert themselves.
Whith this in mind, perhaps it is foolish to limit or focus technology in
the service of traditional student learning in the arts.

Certainly, in the very least, I would suggest that you give your audience
some functional information concerning suggested hardware, CPU speeds, and
the amount of memory and hard drive space which is required for reasonable
image creation and manipulation. Perhaps show them some of the graphic and
animation interfaces which are available as creative working environments
for the students.......photoshop, bryce, poser, lightawave. Then give them
some understanding of how critical technology and visual literacy will be to
the world in which their students must live and work. Please see:

http://www.east-central.k12.tx.us/echs/artdept/TAEAconference/implications_t
ech.html

This article deals with "Technology's Implications for Art Education" and
was originally written for "Trends," a hard copy, yearly publication of the
Texas Art Education Association, published Spring, 1999. Following its
original 'hardcopy' publication, this article has also become an online
publication in "Artery international, The Premier Online Journal of Visual
Art Research in Education, Healthcare & Studio" and featured on the web
site for "Artforce1, An international union of artists, art educators, art
therapists and visual art researchers".

For some technical background and ideas, try:

http://www.east-central.k12.tx.us/echs/artdept/TAEAconference/art_room_tech.html

This article, "Rites of Passage - Technology for the Middle and High School
Classroom"and was also originally written for "Trends," a hard copy,
yearly publication of the Texas Art Education Association, published Spring
1998.

Hope this helps, Bob