Re: Asthma and Clay

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Cynthia Davies (CynthiaDavies)
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 12:14:43 -0500

----------
: From: Cynthia Davies <CynthiaDavies>
: Subject: Asthma and Clay
: Date: Thursday, December 30, 1999 12:03 PM
:
: I am a fiend about keeping the air quality clean in my classroom, so I
: spent
: : some time teaching my students to actually scrub them off with a scrub
: brush
:
: Great news to hear!!!! Keep on doing what you're doing.
:
:
: .. After a collapsed lung (through many years of exposure to raku fumes,
: silica , mould, mothballs in the kiln etc) . Growing up in a South Wales
: coal mining valley did'nt help either.
: I thought I would never work with clay again let alone teach it.
:
: Thanks to "safe clay" habits that protect young lungs ( asthma in
children
: has increased 50%) as well as mine, we have one of the most squeaky clean
: studios ( far from sterile or stifling) and enriching clay programs in
New
: York city.
:
: I too use sets of canvasses marked RED & WHITE( with washable boards
: underneath) The children love to clean up the dried bits by gently
tapping
: the canvas with a soft ball of clay.
:
: Slip is made in a thumb pot which gets closed and goes back in the
: recycling bag. Plenty of volunteers to bash into shape with a rolling
: pin.!!!
:
: Tools and tables and glaze jars are washed and dried at the end of every
: session.
:
: At night the cleaner cleans the floor with an oil based sweeping
compound,
: and I put " air con" filter paper over the a/c / heating units.
:
: The kiln is vented to the outside. Instead of using wax, the children
: wipe the bottoms of their glazed ware on a huge damp car washing sponge.
(
: they love it!) or if time allows I'll use stilts.
:
: This might all sound too over cautious, but I wish I'd been taught these
: good habits when I was in college. Now with heightened awareness I
consider
: it my responsibility to instill these work methods to my students, so we
: can all be free to enjoy the marvellous properties of clay.
:
: I was personally rewarded by being able to spend 6 weeks, and breathe
: fairly easily in the high altitude artist's colony of San Miguel de
: Allende, Mexico doing clay sculpture and RAKU ( with mask) outside in
the
: cactus gardens. Pure BLISS
:
:
: " Nothing matters when you can't breathe." American Lung Association.
:
: Anyone interested in knowing more should get a copy of Michael Mc Cann's
"
: Artist Beware".
:
: Bye for now