Re: transferring copies and newspapers

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Teri Brudnak (tbrudnak)
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 20:39:22 +0000

> ubject: Transfers
> From: Patricia Knott <pknott>
> Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 15:27:54 -0500
>
> A hundred years ago, when I was in college, I did a lot of transferring of
> found images into my work (a la Rauschenberg). I simply placed magazine
> images face down on a surface, rubbed the back with acetone and the printing
> inks transferred. I know the modern inks don't work by this method. But
> does anybody know what does work?
> I've tried the decal method by using coats of gel medium and rubbing the
> paper away, but I hate the thickness, texture, and "plastic" quality that is
> left.
> I have researched Rauchenberg's techniques and know that the chemical he
> uses is highly toxic and not appropriate for the classroom.
> Does anyone know anything?

Dear Patricia,
I have had some sucess with plain old gesso and newspapers. I use a
heavy cover stock paper (that we usually have donated to the art dept)
and brush on a very thin coat of acrylic gesso with a cheap 3"
paintbrush. Before it dries, we work to quickly rub it with an image
from the newspaper--words, cartoons, ads, etc and then quikly peel it
off. We keep brushing and rubbing until a desired background of images
is created. The students then work on it to do their own drawings in
colored pencil or watercolor pencil according to the assignment. Some
have even used acrylic paints. It has the look of Rauschenburg's work
and is easy and non-toxic. (By the way, he is one of the most popular
artists with my advanced students.)
Gloss medium also works as does Xerox copies(--I'm a transfer fiend. We
have done a lot of transfers--used almost everything I know of to
transfer) Hope you have fun with this but it can be finicky.
Regards,
Teri Brudnak