Re: Supply List

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Teresa Tipton (tiptonist)
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 02:04:51 EAT

Numo writes:

>Perhaps we should make a sign up list for things that the school or
>children in your area need. That way we can address the needs with out over
>duplication.

Thanks for your interest! It's been nice to recognize so many familiar names
from the listerve, as well!

Personally, I don't think you can send too much or too many of the same
things. Tanzania is a big country - 28 million people with only 750,000
people employed in jobs. The average daily wage is less than $1. The
interior of the country is beset by famine again this year. I can route any
"duplicate" supplies to another group or to other regions. I also am working
with a group of artists that are traveling to different regions of Tanzania
to document village life for children's books. They can also take care
packages into remote villages that will not have access to anything except
bic pens and perhaps lined paper. Last year I sent care packages to Kigoma
region, beset by refugees from Rwanda, Burundi and now the former Zaire.
There is a project there that provides schooling for refugees and street
children and degrees via distant learning through the White Fathers.
Whatever we can't use, we can send out to the areas of the country that
don't have access to city goods from Taiwan.

If your care package just had the following items of any quantity, they will
be of great value and use to someone:

Paper
Watercolors
Brushes
Pencils with erasers
Black ink pens

You can add to this list anything you desire. In an exchange I did with
another teacher in the U.S., I received sparkling threads, felt paper and
neon construction paper that wow'ed the Dar Art Youth kids. So, be creative
and do what your heart leads you to.

Many thanks!
Teresa