Re: more comments on tracing

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
jwells (jwells.us)
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 08:59:54 -0800

Amanda, Amen!
Janet in Connersville
-----Original Message-----
From: Barbara Hall <bahall>
To: ArtsEdNet Talk <artsednet>
Date: Friday, December 17, 1999 12:55 PM
Subject: more comments on tracing

okay, I have been on this list a while and I don't post that often but I
refer to the discussions on the list a
lot when I am talking with other teachers...when I read something like this,
when there are those who attack
point blank, ABSOLUTELY NOT there should never be a place in art education
for (fill in the blank) it disturbs
me. I wrote in an earlier post that I thought teaching art should be about
teaching IDEAS and how to develop
ideas and how to develop deeper thinking skills. So if a student has a great
idea or if they can collage a
series of images, if they can distort an image to convey an idea by using an
enlarger or by using a light table
to get them to the point where they can communicate their idea faster to the
rest of us, what is the harm.I
agree with the ones who talk about a balanced approach, including use of all
TOOLS available to the student
whether that tool is the fastest Imac on the planet or if it is a beat up
light board donated by the yearbook
staff. Man I feel sorry for kids who are in the classrooms of teachers who
are so worried that they (the
students) will not learn to "Suffer" for their art, to know the pain and
pleasure of working on a drawing until
it is "Just like a photograph". I teach in a small, rural, southern school.
Art is an elective and I serve over
a third of the students. It is so exciting to be in a place where students
are creating and expressing IDEAS at
their personal level and with whatever materials they need to use, How about
challenging kids to find new ways
to use techniques of tracing (distortion....multiple images...morphed
images...images enlarged so that they are
really huge) I could never say..."I will not allow (fill in the blank) in my
art room" because who knows what we
might need to do to make the most amazing idea come to life.

sorry this is so long.The artroom is one of the last frontiers on the school
campus where kids can have some
true ownership and truly create. I don't like to spoil that. I would put my
kids up against any...because I
believe they can THINK.

Amanda Linn
Arkansas

---
You are currently subscribed to artsednet as: jwells.us