Re: HOLIDAY STRESS

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Tmcnorf
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 08:26:16 EST

In a message dated 12/16/99 6:37:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
litesal writes:

<<
> HELLO ARTEDNETTERS,
> JUST WONDERING HOW EVERYONE IS DEALING WITH STRESS AT SCHOOL SO CLOSE TO
THE
> HOLIDAYS?
> SAL
> ANNE M JEANS ELEMENTARY
> BURR RIDGE ILLINOIS

i teach middle school. (my hair is quite gray) how i get through this time of
year is to lighten up and talk to my kids. although i get caught up in my
own merriment and fa la la la la... i try it think of all the kids i have
whose holidays are not a fun time at all. i try to make this week as stress
free as possible. how many kids know they will get little or nothing while
listening to their peers talk of snowboards, stero systems, play station and
computer games? how many kids go home to drinking parents and arguments over
money? i keep my classroom as low key and business as usual as i can. i often
introduce op art this time of year. no one can do a bad job and many kids
love getting lost in coloring in little boxes. i also bake for my classes
and share some of my favorite holiday music so they are aware life isn't all
bad.