Re: Where are we?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Larry Seiler (lseiler@ez-net.com)
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 09:07:36 -0600

From: "Deb Mortl" <dmortl>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 14:46:08 CST

>Why is everyone on this list so sensitive??

..because as artists/art teachers/art students...we have been enculturated
to be most highly evolved in exampling pluralism, diversity, global
ethics...expected now to condition students to be fitted in as global
citizens. Most liberal in looking other directions where ethics are often
breached in profound exaggerations of what freedom and liberty means,
allowing debasement of character and licensure of unihibited appetites,
..YET somehow able to recognize when "certain no-no's" have taken place.
We sense a bit of a cause being championed in ourselves being sensitive to
some things while numb to greater moral issues we ignore or feel
helpless/inadequate to address.

I certainly agree that jokes that find their humor in attacking racial
lines is reprehensible, but in the same way we can laugh at Laurel and
Hardy, and know they do not represent ALL Anglo-Saxon White European
descendent peoples....we should be able to laugh at Ole and Sven, or
perhaps even at ourselves!

I think another admirable trait for us in the arts is to represent
resilience. It is a hostile world after all....and whom better than those
in the arts know and understand that? ...and yet we can find the courage to
create- as though the world might yet appreciate it! *sigh*
peace,

Larry S.