Re: classroom management

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Susan Bennett (sbennett)
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 09:38:37 -0500

I find seating the children in groups of 4 choosing a table captain for
obtaining materials is a good start. A chart of simple guidelines.. stay
in designated area to do work helps. When standing to do work please keep
chair pushed in. During discussion and direction do not talk when another is
talking. Raise had to contribute or ask questions. Wait until a presentation
is over before asking questions, as the answer maybe in the presentation.
(Of course there are exceptions to every rule!) Talk quietly when working.
I then keep a simple chsart on the board for the table names ( I list them
by #s on the board.) If a table is following the guidlelines and using good
working methods they will get a plus sign.If a group is doing so so, they
receive nothing, if a group is violating the guidlelines they receive a
negative sign. Winning tables may earn a treat, a gummy bear, a bookmark,
smarties, jollyranchers, tootsie midget etc. I work on different things,
quiet, staying on task, finishing , cleanup. I also excuse them by table to
wash hands, when their cleanup is finished, not before. I keep assignments
for those who are early finishers to progress to, these are extra credit
ususally or can be a series for their sketch folder. I also keep a free time
activity table, simple art games, markes and free drawing paper, drawing
books etc. Busy first, second and third graders ususally do not need
additional assignments as these keep them occupied. The older students
sometimes do. I will start giving out my points randomly throughout the
class. This seems to help, as they never know what will make me take
notice. I will often say, I am looking for a quiet area that is working on
their art, staying focused. I also look for super artists in addition. They
sign a simple chart. I can reward individuals this way, when a group is not
being too good, or look for individual achievement. Paying attention to
what students can not sit together is important for the little guys. I do
notice when I taught in the jr. high and high school, they would still like
recognized with a treat, or just a complement. Not quite in the same format
though. Susan in Ohio