re: to trace..to not trace

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Dennis Morris (theartboss)
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:49:47 -0800 (PST)

I've been following the discussion and felt compelled
to enter a fact.
I was always anti tracing until I started working with
profoundly handicapped students. ( one size doesn't
fit all )
And then one day about ten years ago I saw an
exhibition of Grandma Moses paintings. The exhibit
included a display of her sources. Guess who traced?
There it was, a box full of images on tracing paper
and the original magazine sources. She used a
graphite rubbing technique to transfer images to her
canvas.
And then we have the encaustic paintings of Jasper
Johns which use both tracing and stenciling.
And finally, articles in AMERICAN ARTIST that even
show a watercolorist projecting photos onto large
sheets of paper and then tracing the images.
My point, I have learned to respect and appreciate the
wide diversity that exists in art making and concluded
" one size does not fit all".

Dennis Morris