Re: HOLIDAY STRESS

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sharon Heneborn (heneborn)
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 22:09:43 -0500

I agree about taking the light approach.(as if there was any choice)

We enjoy making very large "Banners" on Kraft paper. (kids are
stretched out all over the floor and stretched across tables) The
assigned theme is winter sports or music. Snow men and women are
costumed in interesting clothing playing a variety of instruments
(Music teacher loans us large posters of instruments for reference)
Large instrumental and choral groups of snow people or polar bears or
penguins are being hung all over the school. They can stay up on the
walls throughout the holiday (and winter music festival) and will
still be fresh when we come back in Jan. I hate to have to take down
seasonal stuff before the holiday or come back to holiday decorations
in January.

This is the one thing I do every year and when I try to do something
else I hear a big protest. It's a tradition. As long as the banners
are fresh and creative every year I will continue.

Sept., October and January, Feb., March are the best time to approach
new difficult material. Forget May and June for new stuff. Lite fare
then too, in my opinion. That doesn't mean that significant learning
isn't taking place. Just different.

While the artists are working cooperatively on their banners I get to
hear interesting discussions. I listened to an interesting discussion
about symbols. The group was discussing the symbolism of color
combinations. This was a follow up discussion about decorating a
school with religious symbols for the holidays. I learn a lot about my
students listening to their discussions. It is a good time to
interact with them with out the kind of pressure that comes with a
unit of study.

>From: "Litesal" <litesal>
excitement.--- In my opinion, this is not a time to introduce
something tedious and unfamiliar or very difficult.
Sincerely, Leah