Re: Tracing

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Andrea Dunmire (artshui)
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 13:29:25 EST

>Melissa wrote:
>What is your opinion regarding tracing in art class?

I don't allow tracing for any lessons in my classroom, unless the student is
tracing her/his own work to use in a final copy or another creation.
I do allow those who complete required work to trace from sheets of images I
have put together that contain car parts, monster parts, and facial
features. They then use the parts they have traced as a beginning point for
the addition of their own creative ideas.
The kids live this.
I do get lots of requests from students who want to trace, but I tell them
that, in the art room, we are learning ways to express our own ideas.
Tracing can be used in situations when that is not expected.

Andrea in Pa.
- to contact me directly use artshui