Re: Tracing

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 06:36:39 -0700

Melissa Enderle wrote:

> What is your opinion regarding tracing in art class?
> --

Melissa,

I'm assuming you mean tracing from photos or sources other than
the students' own work. I like to use tracing occasionally for
the SpEd students who have poor eye/hand coordination and whose
drawing skills are at a very low developmental level. Some get
very frustrated when they can't draw something more recognizable
like the other students. I keep large magazine pages of the
different kinds of things we draw, like athletic shoes. The
tracing paper allows them to practice getting the contours and
proportions correct, but doesn't allow for a lot of detail.
Those they fill in themselves. They can do it if I point out
relative size and positioning.

BTW, instead of that very thin tracing paper, which tears so
easily when erased by an upset student, I like to use visualizing
paper, which is sold in art stores for graphic designers. Much
sturdier stuff.

Maggie