Re: Discipline Based Art Education?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
L Skeen (lpskeen@living-tree.net)
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 23:15:28 -0500

D Sterner wrote:

> Discipline Based Art Education (DBAE) serves as touchstone toward greater
> teaching ability. It shows art teachers how to deal with the ambiguity of
> the artistic process by virtue of accountability: Provide education, not
> just an activity. As art teachers, we need to demonstrate that art is more
> than "hand traced turkeys" and "cotton ball Santas". I am being flip, but
> consider: abstract artists did not fall on their head one day and paint
> wild stuff - there is history that contributed to their need to redefine
> their role: PHOTOGRAPHY played a big part and kids need to understand that
> - I mean that artists do things in reaction to the world around them.

well. This is a wonderful idea, IF you work in a school that wants the art class to
be something OTHER THAN glitter santas and hand turkeys. Some of us are not that
lucky. :( My counterpart at the other campus was flat out told that art, music, and
pe classes existed only to give the classroom teachers a planning period, and that if
the company could get away without having them, they would do. So.....

(I'm looking for a new teaching job, btw.)
Lisa