Re: Pish, Posh

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
The Austin's (whest177)
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 19:04:09 -0600

> Judie J wrote:
> I just discovered a wonderful book, "Pish, Posh. said Hieronymus Bosch"
> from amazon.com A delightfully illustrated "story of a housekeeper driven
> wild by the imagination of one of the most bizarre painters who ever
> lived." Bosch, an artist from the Netherlands, 1450 to 1516, had a most
> unusual style...

I have two copies of this book - one on my cart for my elementary students
to browse through, and one in my high school. I have been impressed by the
student created artworks inspired by this book! One year, a very unambitious
student happened to pull this book off the shelf (probably because it is a
child's picture book, and therefore it couldn't possibly contain anything
too difficult to trace). He became enthralled with the pickles - little
pickles with human arms and legs - and he created an 18"x24" colored pencil
drawing with these little guys swinging from trees, running around,
swimming, you name it. It was a fantastic origional work done on the
student's own time (and quite a few study hall hours).
My point? Picture books are great for high school kids too! Also, have
you seen "I Spy: An Alphabet in Art"? Also great at both levels.
Michal