New topic: arches

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Carla Schiller (teachercbs)
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 20:09:15 -0600

Hi, all. I thought I'd share something from class today. Yesterday I was
asked to do a project in my Art History class because we were going to be
having visiting students from Singapore, and they didn't want to hear lectures
(which we unfortunately have to do a lot of in AP Art History just to get
through the vast curriculum). We're in the Roman Art Period (yes, I know I'm
behind, if there are any other AP Art History folks reading this), so I wanted
the project to relate somehow. So...one evening, no materials, very little
money (mine!)...I went to the supermarket and bought four boxes of sugar cubes
and a package of emory boards. In class today, I briefly lectured on the
structure of the round arch, especially the concept of the keystone holding
the voussoirs in place through balancing forces. Then I told them to build
arches out of the sugar cubes, using the emory boards to shave ones that would
create the curve and the keystone. And they did it! Some of them discovered
that using their teeth was a more sophisticated tool for them to shape the
sugar cubes. We had a number of them standing, with no glue or anything
holding them together except vectors! I took the few best ones and glued them
down flat on paper, labelled the parts, and will use them for teaching.
Just wanted to share.. Hope this is useful, or at least interesting. As
many of you know, I am a Social Studies teacher, not an artist.
Carla

Jarsawyer wrote:

> Probably liquid starch -- I think you can get it at any grocery store.
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to artsednet as: teachercbs

  • Reply: Judie: "Re: New topic: arches"
  • Reply: Ann Heineman: "Re: New topic: arches"
  • Reply: BluesTruth: "Re: New topic: arches"