Re: Pit firing

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
L Skeen (lpskeen@living-tree.net)
Wed, 08 Dec 1999 19:44:24 -0500

Inland Lakes Schools wrote:

> accidently erased the firing message that was quite detailed & professional.
> Whoever u r, please re-send.
> ann c

Ann,
Dunno if this is what you want, but here goes:
> I have a question for Dennis: Could you please outline directions for
> making the black on black pots?

I'm not Dennis, but I can tell you that you will get blacks by burying the
pots
in sawdust. In fact, I always say that the deep, dark, shiny blacks are
the
ONLY thing you can predict with pit firing; wherever the piece is buried in
the
sawdust is black because sawdust smoulders instead of burning outright and
re-oxidizing the clay. Using manure will also give you black, but you'll
have
some reallllllly nasty disgusting smoke too.

>>PS. do pots have to be bisque fired first when you pit fire? and
recommended
>>clay body? WE live in an area where redclay is prominant.

They don't, but you'll lose most of 'em if you put them in as greenware. I
use
Laguna Bmix10 for my pit firing. I have also used Loafer's Glory from
Highwater. You can use red clay but you don't get reds on red clay, just a
smoked orange. Get a porcelainous stoneware claybody - that means tight
grain,
no grog to mess up your burnishing.