Re: Pit firing

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
L Skeen (lpskeen@living-tree.net)
Wed, 08 Dec 1999 19:42:12 -0500

Donald Peters wrote:

> Greetings all,
> 1)I'm curious how those of you who have been posting pictures have been
> getting the wonderful flashings on your examples?

No torpedoes, as such, but I sprinkle oxides on the sawdust around the pots.
Also, try wrapping your pot w/ copper wire and/or placing some steel wool around
them.

> 2)Lisa, I noted in your pictures you talk about stoking the kiln. Any
> advantages to this over just lighting and leaving?

The hotter the kiln gets the better chance you have of volatizing the
oxides/sulfates and getting color. If you don't mind just black and whites (and
these are acceptable for children), light it and leave it. I'm a professional
potter and I sell my work AMAP, therefore I go for the colors.

> Also, as I have not yet been able to convince my wife of the need for a pit
> fire in our yard, I did manage to put some pots in a burn off pile a friend
> of mine had (not quite as big as an A&M bonfire, but almost) and got some
> wonderful results without the clay being covered.

I have done this but tend to get more breakage than I do in a pit fire because
of the thermal shock

Lisa.