Re: Pit Firing

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
L Skeen (lpskeen@living-tree.net)
Wed, 08 Dec 1999 09:05:52 -0500

Iteachart7 wrote:

> I have a question for Dennis: Could you please outline directions for
> making the black on black pots?

I'm not Dennis, but I can tell you that you will get blacks by burying the pots
in sawdust. In fact, I always say that the deep, dark, shiny blacks are the
ONLY thing you can predict with pit firing; wherever the piece is buried in the
sawdust is black because sawdust smoulders instead of burning outright and
re-oxidizing the clay. Using manure will also give you black, but you'll have
some reallllllly nasty disgusting smoke too.

>>PS. do pots have to be bisque fired first when you pit fire? and recommended
>>clay body? WE live in an area where redclay is prominant.

They don't, but you'll lose most of 'em if you put them in as greenware. I use
Laguna Bmix10 for my pit firing. I have also used Loafer's Glory from
Highwater. You can use red clay but you don't get reds on red clay, just a
smoked orange. Get a porcelainous stoneware claybody - that means tight grain,
no grog to mess up your burnishing.

Lisa