Re: interview know how

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Litesal (litesal)
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 20:38:47 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Rebecca Gartley <gartley>
To: ArtsEdNet Talk <artsednet>
Sent: Sunday, December 05, 1999 10:50 PM
Subject: interview know how

> Help! what do you think I absolutely have to be able to articulate?
What
> are the latest art teaching or just teaching catch phrases that are flying
> around? Or, should I just stick to what I know and not try to dazzle them
> with jargon?
> Sorry, this is so long and rambling. Any wisdom from you all would be
> appreciated.

Dear Becky,

I think administrators are just as concerned with classroom management as
they are with content knowledge. They want to know their students will be
safe in your classroom, and they won't be getting any calls from parents. I
would have an answer for how you will handle various discipline problems,
maybe even have a discipline plan worked out (they asked me that at all my
interviews). I would also talk about "rubrics," "quality standards," and
"objectives, learning outcomes, and/or criteria" (basically that you will
have a purpose to all your lessons). I was also asked about lesson planning
(I used the Madeline Hunter method, but that may be old now). You may want
to talk about Discipline Based Art Education, if you understand it and plan
to use it, it sounds impressive and administrators are happy when things
sound very academic and clear cut. Talk about "assessment," how you will
objectively determine a student's grade (tie in with rubrics). Also, make
it abundantly clear (if this is the case) that you are willing to take on
extra duties like class advisor, scenery, art club, etc. That's my advice,
it worked for me! Oh, and get your teaching philosophy straight in your
head, gear your answers towards that. Relax, smile, and be honest . . .
they can tell.

Sincerely, Leah