Re: Sight or sound?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Melissa Enderle (melissae)
Tue, 07 Dec 1999 18:33:12 -0600

--
As a visually impaired art person, I'll write from personal experience.
While I've had glasses since I was a toddler, I always got a correction
until age 17. Sure, it's no fun having to deal with resulting obstacles and
challenges (such as not being able to drive, using magnifiers, getting eye
fatigue, not being able to see those details that I so prized), but you
learn to take what you have and adapt. From my autofocus camera,for example,
I can scan in photos to Photoshop, where I can blow them up as much as I
want until I can see the details. When at inservices or presentations, I am
sure to sit up in front and by others who are interested in seeing/hearing
what the speaker has to say.
As with other people with disabilities, I desire to be independent. My
experience has enabled me to be more understanding and empathetic to some of
my students with disabilities - which are many.