Re: Pit firing

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Judie (judiej50)
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 03:15:27 -0500

I have done a similar type of firing using sawdust and a metal garbage can.
Pots were burnished with backs of spoons, to a satinlike patina and very
lowfired in an electric kiln--cone 02 before hand. Higher firing usually
results in loss of some of the burnishing. Stack pots loosely in the
garbage can with lots of fine sawdust in between alternating with some
shredded newspaper. Light fire on top and let it burn down partially
covered for about 12 hours. Watch closely. Some nice results. An old
pottery teacher of mine also had us do this sort of firing in a barbeque
grill--if you are desperate.

Good luck!

Judie