Re: Pit firing

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Dennis Freeman (freemad)
Mon, 06 Dec 1999 22:39:44 -0700

Ricki - There are no dumb questions, but you'll have to judge for yourself
about my answer. Yes, we dug it as a class activity. The architect was
supposed to include a pit outside the art room when a new building was built
2 years ago. This was left off, so the kids & I rented a concrete saw & cut
a 48" X 48" square hole in the deck of the sculpture yard just outside the
art room (after checking the blueprints for gas lines, elect, etc.). We dug
it out about 36" deep & slightly tapered. When not in use, it is covered
with a decking steel cover made by the metals class. It is about 12' from
the building in a sheltered corner. We use juniper wood to fire, and when
firing black-on-black ( Santa Clara style ) pots, we smother w/ horse manure
& sawdust. For fires where we want no flame marks, we fire in a cut-down
55 gal. drum w/ holes punched in it. (Our version of the lunch trays &
license plates in the "Maria!" movie)
This is probably more info than you wanted, but if you need more, just let
me know. I love this stuff! - Dennis