Re: Pit firing

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
L Skeen (lpskeen@living-tree.net)
Mon, 06 Dec 1999 20:07:25 -0500

SZim52 wrote:

> would love to pit fire....any suggestions how to convince the powers that be
> this is a good idea?????

I never tried getting permission to dig/fire at school; try a field trip sort of
approach if you can find either a local potter who will let you use his/her pit,
or if you can dig a pit on your own place. The thing about digging a pit near a
school is that you never know what kind of pipes, cables, gas lines, etc. you
might hit. :(

My personal pit at home is now a hole in the ground about 3 - 4' dia. and 18"
deep. My partner and I dug it out with a couple of shovels a few days after it
rained. It is lined on the bottom with house brick. Check my web page for
another alternative: http://www.living-tree.net We used house brick leftover
from our foundation to build that brick pit. The bad part is that house brick
is not designed to take the heat of a pit firing and the bricks will break and
you run the risk of knocking the pieces into the kiln (yes, a pit is a kiln) and
breaking your pots. OTOH, if you have a source for firebrick or insulation
brick, you can build your pit up instead of digging down.

If you get to do the pit firing and need more particulars on how-to, gimme a
holler.

Lisa - who should have been throwing more pots to pit, but didn't today.

PS: We're planning to bring in the Millennium with a pitfiring over New Year's
Eve if'n it don't rain.<GG>