Re: Kiln ignorance -Guilty as charged

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
L Skeen (lpskeen@living-tree.net)
Mon, 06 Dec 1999 11:17:40 -0500

ARTISOK wrote:

> Help!
> I have been "firing" clay( bisque and glaze ) in my kiln room for five years-
> There ARE NO VENTS....It is just a little room with a solid door- I close the
> door when I fire- but I am sure that does not do the job properly. The kiln
> room (closet) is against an outside wall.... What do I need to insist upon as
> basic safety for the kiln ? Thank you, artisok

Hello! You should have ventilation, preferably with a fan to draw the fumes
outdoors. If the kiln closet is on an outside wall it won't be much trouble for
the maintenance dept. to cut a hole and install a basic exhaust fan. If your
kiln was in the classroom, I'd say get an envirovent; they are, as the kids would
say, "da bomb, baby!".

Your kiln should be at least 2 feet from any wall, especially if they are
combustible walls. If you must have a smoke detector, put it OUTSIDE the kiln
closet door, because the fumes will set it off ( I don't know why this happens,
but it's happened to me in my studio at home.)

I'm sure there are other things, but I just woke up.....<GG> ;)